There is a reason why it is called the most important meal of the day, as there are various health benefits associated with eating breakfast. However in today’s busy and hectic lifestyle it is often skipped.
One of the biggest reasons for people to skip breakfast is because they have run out of ideas. Well, say no more. Read on to find inspiration for new breakfast options.
BANANA APPLESAUCE MUFFINS
- Makes 12 large muffins (1 per serving)
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- 12-cup muffin pan, lightly greased or lined with paper cups
- 2 cups whole grain wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine bananas, egg, applesauce, sugar and oil. Stir into flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch and a tester inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe was created to use whole wheat flour and less oil than other recipes, making it higher in fibre and lower in fat.
- Makes 2 servings
- Total Time Under 15 minutes
- 1 avocado
- 4 egg whites
- 2 slices bacon
- ½ cup salsa
- salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired
- Naked corn tortillas or 1 slice of whole wheat/ brown bread if desired
- glass of low fat milk, if desired
- Heat oven to 200 ⁰C.
- Cut avocado in half and remove the pit by piercing it with a sharp knife and pulling it out.
- Scoop about half the avocado out. Using a knife, shave off a small amount of the avocado bottom so that it sits flat forming a bowl shape. Repeat for the other avocado half. Reserve removed avocado for another use. Set each avocado half in their own space in a standard size muffin pan, with the hollowed-out side facing up.
- Divide egg whites between each avocado half and pour inside. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Cook bacon on non-stick frying pan.
- Remove cooked eggs and avocados from the oven and top with salsa and bacon if desired.
- Top with salsa, bacon and salt and pepper, if desired.
BANANA BREAKFAST SHAKE
- SHAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT
- Makes 2 servings
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¾ cup nonfat vanilla yoghurt
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ½ tablespoon honey
- In a blender, process the bananas, milk, yoghurt, juice and honey until smooth.
- Serve immediately.