Breyani is a very popular and tasty dish and this is a very quick and easy-to-follow recipe. It is also budget-friendly and filling!
PS: You can control the heat levels yourself by the amount of chilli you add.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 can pilchards (canned in brine)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- Chillies (optional, to taste)
- ½ tsp breyani mix
- 4 tsp Kashmiri masala
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups rice (basmati)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Pour oil into a pot and add onions, sauté for roughly 3 minutes.
- Add breyani mix and let it braise for 5 minutes.
- Add chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Add the masala and allow it to braise in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes and cook until it forms a thick paste.
- Add the pilchards and allow to cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add the par-cooked rice with turmeric to the tomato mixture.
- Do not stir, allow the breyani to simmer until the tomato mixture cooks through.
- The rice should have speckles of red gravy on the top.
- Mix gently and enjoy!