It’s that time of year again – December is approaching and it’s time to relax after a long hard year of work. This can mean different things to different people, as not everyone wants to go away during this busy time of year, and not all of us have the money to go away either. However, do not let this get you down, as there are plenty of things that you can do during the holiday period, alone or with friends and family, and it does not have to cost a fortune! Let’s look at some of the best DIY holiday ideas.
The festive season is just around the corner so why not find new ways to get your kids to bring out their creative side and occupy their time so they won’t get bored during the holidays. This will also give you time to relax! Try some of the following:
- Get the kids to redecorate the old Christmas ornaments by painting them black or white and then using some glitter to decorate or do fingerprints in colourful paints to give it that personal touch. If you do not have decorations, why not paint some shells or pinecones to give it that individual touch!
- Have a picnic day with the kids and get them involved – let them help you make the snacks and they can bake cookies with you for some extra one-on-one quality time together.
- Help the kids put on a puppet show by encouraging them to make their own puppets.Use those old single socks and get some felt for eyes and a mouth, pipe cleaners, feathers and glue and let them use their imagination to create their favourite characters. Use an old brown box as a stage for their production and voila –you have created a fun activity that is cost effective, creative and allows you some time to relax whilst they prepare everything for the grand puppet show!
If you are not going away during the festive season you can enjoy your time off by relaxing and doing activities that are cost effective but still fun! Here are some of the things you and the family and friends can do:
- Movie night at home is a great idea as we all know how expensive a trip to the cinema can be, with movie tickets, snacks and parking. Why not create a movie theatre in your very own lounge. All you need is your favourite movie, freshly popped popcorn and a slab of chocolate to create a night full of fun and laughter!
- Use the holidays to try something new – a restaurant and type of food that you have never tried before in an area that is not the norm – you might find that you enjoy a new experience and make new friends!
- Use the time to explore or study something new that you have always been interested in but have never had time to try. This could be anything from learning to play a musical instrument to learning a new sport or even doing an online course!
- Take the time to read a book – it might sound like a simple idea but it is something that most of us would love to have the time to do as there is nothing better than reading a nice book with cup of hot chocolate (or tea if you prefer) before you go to sleep. Use this free time to indulge and enter a world of mystery and romance by reading a book by your favourite author.
- Throw a party and invite all your friends who have also not gone away for the holidays and tell them to invite a friend too, that way you get to meet new people. As the saying goes, “The more the merrier!”
- Visit local museums and theme parks to get a taste for local culture and expand your knowledge while enjoying the excursion!
- Use the time to get into a new exercise routine – eat healthy and keep fit!
Lastly, sometimes the number of gifts we have to buy during the festive season can take a toll on our pocket so here are a few ideas on how to make a homemade gift for a friend or loved one that will be appreciated just the same:
- Create a coupon booklet for a friend or loved one with the gift of time and experiences such as a night off from cooking or doing the dishes, a trip to the local coffee shop for coffee and cake or an evening of babysitting – this will be well received and gives it that extra personal touch!
- Bake one of your best batches of chocolate brownies or biscuits, put them in a beautiful box – no one would ever be disappointed with a box of delicious treats!
- If you are able to, knit or crochet a scarf or blanket with their initials on it – this will show that you went the extra mile!
- Fill a jar with their favourite treats and snacks, tie a ribbon around the lid and afterwards they can use the jar for something else. That way it will always remind them of you!
- Offer to bring your signature homemade dish over for festive season celebrations and let everyone eat, laugh and be merry!
Remember, it is not the amount of money spent that makes a happy holiday or festive season, but rather the thought and effort behind all the work that counts. Enjoy every moment together this festive season whether it is at home or abroad, and make the most of the time to relax and rejuvenate after all your hard work!