Winter is on its way and what better way to spend the evening than enjoying a lovely bowl of hearty tomato soup.
Here is a quick easy and delicious recipe to follow and best of all its low fat, low calorie and it can be ready in 25 minutes!
This soup can be made to your taste so you can puree the ingredients to the consistency you prefer – you can enjoy it as a light starter or if you prefer a thicker consistency, the ingredients can be chopped into larger portions for a more filling meal.
2 x teaspoons olive oil
1 x small onion (finely chopped)
1 x stalk celery (finely chopped)
1 x clove garlic (minced)
½ cup fresh basil (chopped)
1 x teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 x cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 x cups non-fat low –sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and garlic and gently sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure the garlic doesn’t brown.
- Add basil, thyme, tomatoes, and broth of choice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Alternatively, you can purée in batches in a food processor or blender. Purée it lightly if you like your soup chunky, otherwise purée it fully for a velvety consistency.
- Serve hot or on a hot summer day, chill the soup and serve it cold with a celery stalk stirrer.