Hannes du Toit: Owner and head coach at BST Crossfit
1. How long have you been a coach/trainer?
I have been coaching and training athletes since 2006.
2. What are your qualifications?
BA (HMC), Honours in Sport Science, CrossFit Level 1&2, Gymnastics, Eleiko Level 1 Weightlifting Coach and CSCS Strength Coach.
3. What is the most important thing about starting a new training program or sport?
To determine what the requirements are for that specific sport and to determine what possible injuries play will play a role.
4. How important is safety in training?
Safety is always at the top of the list. There is a fine balance between ensuring that the movements are performed safely and getting the maximum results during training.
5. What is the funniest thing you have experienced as a trainer/coach?
I once had to wear a sling and could only demonstrate the movement with one arm. As I finished the demonstration and returned to see how the kids were performing the movements, all of them were doing it only with their left arms as they saw me doing it.
6. What is your favourite sport to play/compete in?
7. What is your favourite sport to watch?
8. What is the number one thing on your bucket list?
To teach my own kids to do CrossFit.
9. What is your favourite thing about being a coach/trainer?
Seeing people that would never usually interact become best friends because of CrossFit.