Whether you are really exploring plant-based eating as a lifestyle or just happen to have beans in the cupboard and need to use them, no worries – we have got you sorted!
What we love about this uncomplicated recipe is that it is very economical, contains ingredients we usually have stocked in our pantries and is an absolute flavour explosion.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Maizena/ corn starch
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (or white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 800g chickpeas (2 cans), drained and rinsed
- Cooked brown or basmati rice, for serving
- Any steamed vegetable, for serving
- I usually recommend something colourful to improve presentation like corn, green beans, broccoli or asparagus
- Sliced spring onions or parsley, for garnish
- To a blender or food processor, add orange juice, Maizena, lemon juice, honey, tomato paste, soy sauce, garlic and water. Blend well!
- Pour mixture into a medium pan, cooking on a medium-high heat.
- Cook until sauce begins to boil/ bubble, about 8-10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Cover with the lid and reduce heat to low; cook for 15-20 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Add chickpeas to the sauce; stir to coat evenly.
- Spoon over rice and veggies, finish with the garnish.