Duration: 55 minutes plus cooling time
High in protein, rich in iron, low GI.
- Olive oil
- 1 x 270 g packet of filo pastry
- 200 g baby spinach
- 6 strips smoked streaky bacon
- 6 large free-range eggs
- 200 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ a bunch of fresh chives
- 1 lemon
- 2 medium onions
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C (gas oven = 4). Lightly grease a 20cm x 30cm baking dish with oil / spray with cooking spray.
- Cover the baking dish with a layer of pastry, letting the edges overhang slightly. Brush with a little oil then add another layer of pastry, repeating until you have used it all (there should be roughly 3 or 4 layers).
- Boil the kettle, then place the spinach in a colander / sieve and pour over the hot water to wilt it (you may have to do this in 2 batches). Push the spinach down with the back of a spoon then when it’s cool enough to handle, then squeeze out any excess water, using your hands. Place the spinach on a board and roughly chop, then place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Grill the bacon strips in a pan until it is crisp, then set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Whisk in the milk and mustard powder, snip in the chives then grate in the lemon zest.
- Crumble the cooled bacon into the spinach. Then finely chop the onions and add to the mixture. Mix well and scatter into the filo pastry case. Pour over the egg mixture and carefully place the dish on the bottom of the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until just set. Leave the pie to cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with a crisp green salad! Bon Appetit!